The Weekly Round-up: June 25
Your source for news, upcoming releases, and what to check out in the large world of music
- Britpop icons Blur have announced that they will perform two new tracks titled "The Puritan" and "Under the Westway" on Monday July 2. The Performance will occur on a London rooftop at a secret location that will be streamed live on the bands official Twitter page. The songs have been specifically written for the bands August 12 Hyde Park gig in London that will act as the closing ceremony show for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- House music supergroup Swedish House Mafia have announced via their website that they will be splitting once their upcoming European tour comes to an end. The house trio known for dance hits such as One and Miami 2 Ibiza will begin touring Europe in England on July 14 and finish where it all started in Stockholm on November 24.
- The Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney has told Rolling Stone that the band plans to head back into the studio in July to work on a new album. In the Rolling Stone interview Carney took the chance to bash rock legends Van Halen which has caused quite the stir. Via Rolling Stone
- GOOD Music member Pusha T announced that the crews compilation album "Cruel Summer" is slated to drop on August 7. The album headed by Kanye West has already released one single titled Mercy. Via Pop Crush
- Speaking of album releases, this week has its fair share of big names dropping new albums. Maroon 5, The Offspring and Linkin Park all have new releases coming out this Tuesday. Other new albums include R. Kelly’s seventh studio album "Write Me Back" as well as The Flaming Lips new collaborative album called "The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends".
Albums Releasing This Week (June 26)
- "Overexposed" by Maroon 5
- "Days Go By" by The Offspring
- "Living Things" by Linkin Park
- "Fortune" by Chris Brown (June 29)
Video to Watch
Kanye West and Jay-Z’s Watch the Throne world tour ended last week in Britain. But before the duo headed back to America they made a 30 minute appearance at the BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend in Hackney, East London for a free show. You can watch the entire concert here: http://bit.ly/OePd0A
Festivals to Attend
The Montreal Jazz Festival kicks off this week on June 28 and runs until July 7 featuring the likes of Beirut and Chick Corea. As well Summerfest kicks off in Milwaukee on the 27th and runs till July 7. Summerfest is certified by The Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s largest music festival with over 700 bands performing this year including Aerosmith, Rascal Flats, Cheap Trick and more! The full line up for both festivals can be seen here
That’s your music roundup for the week ahead. Did you like what you saw, have any comments or questions; did we miss something that you think needs to be mentioned? Give us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org