The Weekly Round-up: July 16
Your source for news, upcoming releases, and what to check out in the large world of music
- No Doubt are finally back with their first album in 11 years and their first single in over 9 years titled "Settle Down" which debuts today. You can listen to the new song via the link below and check out the making of the music video in our "Video to Watch" section. Via Stereogum
- More new songs being released today! Green Day are also back with a new track titled "Oh Love" which will be featured on the first of their three upcoming albums. The first album in the trilogy is appropriately titled ¡Uno! and will be out on September 25th. Bassist Mike Dirnt describes ¡Uno! as a move "back to basics" as the album will be produced by Rob Cavallo who worked on the bands breakthrough CD Dookie. Check out the single here via Rolling Stone
- Mumford & Sons have announced that their second album will be called "Babel" and that it is due to be released on September 24. Twelve songs have so far been confirmed for the follow up album to the bands breakthrough success Sigh No More. No word yet however on when the first single will be released. Via NME
- A pair of tweets this weekend from Music Week News have alluded to the fact that U2 may be coming out with a new album for Mercury records in 2013. The tweet also stated that Metallica and Arcade Fire should be releasing new material next year. We can only hope that they are right.
- Further proving that he’s still got it, Roger Water’s "The Wall Live" tour has been the highest grossing music tour so far of 2012. Pollstar’s Mid-Year Charts & Figures list ranked Water’s tour as the second highest grossing act of 2012 with 575,444 tickets sold and a profit of $61.9 million. Waters tour is only second to Cirque de Soleil’s "Michael Jackson: The Immortal" tour which has grossed $78.5 million in the first six months of 2012.
- "Life Is Good" by Nas
- "The Dark Knight Rises: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" by Hans Zimmer
- "Carry Me Back" by Old Crow Medicine Show
- "Rebirth" by Jimmy Cliff
Albums Releasing This Week (July 10)
Video to Watch
As mentioned earlier here is a behind the scenes look at No Doubt filming the music video for their new single "Settle Down". The three minute clip is a cool look into the process of filming a music video. Expect the full music video to drop sometime today or tomorrow.
List to Debate
The music industry sure seems to have a love affair with lists and charts. Another notable list was released today by NME. The famous British music site released their list of the UK’s best singles from the past 60 years. You can check it out here via NME. Agree with it? Is there a song that you think they overlooked? Let the haters hate.
That’s your music roundup for the week ahead. Did you like what you saw, have any comments or questions; did we miss something that you think needs to be mentioned? Give us your feedback at email@example.com